Re: IP over MPEG-2 Transport

2002-04-26 21:11:43

> Wouldn't it make more sense to transmit MPEG over IP?

In an ideal world, yes. (In fact, this is already dealt with in RFC 2250, which defines how MPEG-1 or 2 elementary or transport streams are carried over RTP/UDP/IP.) But, as usual, we don't live in an ideal world :-)

If we can leverage those existing links, and get IP into them,
eventually the IP will become a "must have" feature, and then
eventually the link configuration will be re-engineered and
"inverted", with IP taking it's rightful place at the "true" layer 3.

Exactly!

        Ross.