Re: RFC3271 and independance of "cyberspace"

2002-04-30 22:05:12

i think people should be free to create and share but that those who wish to
claim rights should not be prevented from doing so.

vint

Claiming rights is different to be able to enforce rights.

It would be useful if there was a document which helped clarify the limits
to enforcement given innate behaviours of the Internet.

It would be useful if a vision statement went beyond a passive assertion that
free information exchange was useful, and took a position that it was actually
a very important thing. For instance, it could assert that the assumed
state was that information was in the public domain, and resist the move to
assume all information innately carries enforceable restrictions ab initio.

Given the extent to which the Internet leveraged public funding processes
in R&D and education, I am suprised there isn't more explicit mention of the
benefits of that leveraged outcome. Do we have to be neutral?

cheers
        -George