Re: RFC3271 and independance of "cyberspace"

2002-05-01 02:52:09
At 03:00 PM 5/1/2002 +1000, ggm(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net wrote:

For instance, it could assert that the assumed
state was that information was in the public domain, and resist the move to
assume all information innately carries enforceable restrictions ab initio.

current copyright law says that from the moment of creation all rights
lie with the creator of the intellectual property. That is, you don't
have to register for the material to be copyrighted. You have to take
a conscious action under present law to make something public domain.
(You have to make a declaration that it is public domain).

That may not be what you have in mind, of course, but it is the present
state of affairs in the US and other countries subscribing to the Berne
Convention on Copyright.

Given the extent to which the Internet leveraged public funding processes
in R&D and education, I am suprised there isn't more explicit mention of the
benefits of that leveraged outcome. Do we have to be neutral?

surely we do not have to be neutral on this point. However I am not entirely
sure I understand how you want to couple the leveraging observation with
the intellectual property discussion?

vint

cheers
       -George