Re: IPR at IETF 54

2002-05-31 11:05:26
I think the most effective thing would be to send a strong signal of some
kind: "If you patent technologies and give non-RF licenses, _do not expect
the technology be supported in IETF at all_".

The problem is that there are enough companies out there that don't care.

There are some areas of technology out there where companies that don't need IETF-style interoperability have essentially patented every possible branch of the decision tree (and are continuing to do so). What should the IETF do here?

Fortunately, we don't do codecs. Whew. However, there may be other areas where the only remaining way forward is to actively cut through the existing jungle of utterly bogus patents.

By the way, I do completely agree with your point. Just pointing out that it may not be enough.

Gruesse, Carsten