RE: Global PKI on DNS?

2002-06-13 16:00:16
on www.example.com being squatted, the problem is the squatter does not
get the private key, so yes it has a certificate with a public key, but
everybody does...

To use the certificate, he will have to regenerate a private key, which
means a new certificate and expiring the old one.

The question is, as all domain names are registered with credit cards,
how much do you trust banks? Do we need more trust?

Indeed there are a few problems with social engineering but, the game is
to propose something, pass it through review of security experts and see
if they can improove.

SSLv1 was hacked during its first official presentation...

Also, in my internet explorer there are a bunch of root certificates
that I don't know about and if you send a e-mail to Microsoft they will
add your root-CA to the windows update site that will push it to all
Internet Explorer.

Ideally, we should rate each CA in our applications and the application
should give us a level of risk...

Most of the time what we want is tracability. I have a problem with a
site, then I look for who paid for the certificate and then get the card
holder and then involve the police. I have someone to get hold of...
What all CA out there are just doing is passing the buck and ensuring
they can do it...

Cheers.