Re: Global PKI on DNS?

2002-06-17 07:45:40
If explicit trust is required I agree, but in the DNS case we already
have a singly-rooted tree that everyone relies upon. if you want to
use the word "trust" then we all trust the root for DNS, but I think
the term is not applicable here.

I think the word "trust" accurately reflects the situation.

People do trust the current DNS to some degree.  The danger of a DNS-based
PKI is that people will invest far more trust in the DNS PKI than is
warranted, and/or that the root and/or TLD servers will abuse that trust.

Recent history demonstrates that such abuse is likely.

Keith