RE: Global PKI on DNS?

2002-06-14 04:49:51
At 12:51 PM -0700 6/13/02, Christian Huitema wrote:
 > > > A PKI modeled on the DNS would parallel
 > > the existing hierarchy and merely codify the
 relationships expressed
 > > by it in the form of public key certs.
 >
 > so what you're saying is that the cert would mean something like:

 ;-) actually, to a lawyer, a PKI cert says something like:

 [deleted]

Part of the problem is that we are mixing to issues, i.e. "am I speaking
to the server that is legitimely designated by the name
www.example.com", and "am I speaking to the service that is supposed to
manage my examples." Attaching certificates to names may solve the
former; solving the latter requires that the user discovers in a trusted
way the DNS name associated to the service. We know that there are many
psychology-based attacks that can fool users to connect to use the wrong
name; PKI certificates attached to the DNS name is not going to solve
that.

Well said. I think there would be considerable benefit from trying to solve the former problem. The latter problem is very hard, and does enter the realm of "who do you trust" which is a very complex realm, one in which the lack of transitivity of trust becomes a big issue.

There is in addition an even more murky area, which is the validity of
the binding over time. Some artists specialize in grabbing DNS names
that their legitimate users fail to renew in time. Suddenly,
www.example.com is not managing my examples anymore, it has become a
gateway to a porn site. Yet, that porn portal has a perfectly valid and
up-to-date PKI certificate. Amusing, isn't it?

Yes. But, the problems does not get better or worse with certs so long as the validity periods are matched to the renewal periods.

Steve