RE: Global PKI on DNS?

2002-06-25 12:30:22
Of course!    Hi Mike;-)...

Trust is multi-faceted.
Trust in the dollar bill is independent of trust in the source.
Except when they are nice new crisp bills, when it is preferred
to get them directly from a trusted bank or other reputable business,
rather than from a street peddler. Or get them as a Birthday present from a trusted relative.

If the dollar is a poor enough counterfeit it is easily detected as such, but if it is a perfect fake, it will never be detected by anyone until it is retired, if then, and no one will be harmed except the Govt when it redeems it, where it will just be a round-off error;-)...

So, we all manage to avoid significant losses with dollar bills,
because we trust some or all that I said above to be true.

That is quite a lot of multi-channelled qualified information!
It collectively includes long histories of many people dealing with dollar bills;-)... And, little experience with fraudulent dollar bills.

Who is to say (and prove) that they have absolutely never received and passed along a counterfeit dollar bill?

So, among other things, the dollar bill scenario has little or nothing to do with the discussion of trust tools and systems in the internet environment, except to notice the multi-channel nature of our trust in dollar bills.

I note also that there are no shared secrets, or crypto keys involved in the general public trust of dollar bills.

Cheers...\Stef