Re: IPR and I-D boilerplate

2002-06-27 10:49:51
--On Thursday, 27 June, 2002 11:12 -0400
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:30:21 EDT, John C Klensin said:

2000.04.01" or "first submitted 1999.12.25".   Or the author
could choose to list each version number, the date, and
perhaps a brief summary of major ideas introduced.

You'd have to do this, in case the "prior art" was something
introduced between -03 and -04 due to working group
discussion....

Again, I am less interested in a firm rule (or discussions or
such rules) in this case as much as I am about giving someone a
strong indication that there might have been something published
of interest, something that they had best track down before
swearing that they have good reason to believe that no prior art
exists.   Whether, at that point, they try to obtain the old I-D
(and I don't think this provides any justification for
re-visiting our policies on availability of those documents), or
contact the author, or believe that everything in the last
version was in the first one or was obvious from it, or pretend
ignorance, is really a separate matter.

   john