Re: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation to Proposed Standard

2002-07-03 23:34:35
At 12:50 AM 7/4/2002 -0400, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jul 2002 20:25:21 PDT, Dave Crocker said:
> One does not need any history of fax to note the likelihood of the
> one-to-one case being dominant. One might even suspect that it is inherent.

It's dominant/inherent because nobody's figured out how to make a fax machine
talk to a conference call.

And the Good Humour Ice Cream truck does a very poor job of serving hot dogs.

Oops.  That's not it's job.

And, by the way, it is inherent because a feature that is designed to obtain per-recipient information is likely to be implemented in a way the delivers per-recipient tailoring.

On the other hand, remember that the *SENDER* here is going to be in the
e-mail world - and people are *used* to putting half the known world into
the cc: list (heck, I had to trim *this* message's list by at least 3 or
4 addresses).

The issue is not what the email originator does. The issue is what the sending MTA does.

In other words, how it maps the recipient list, generated by the originator, into SMTP commands.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave(_at_)tribalwise(_dot_)com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850