RE: Last Call: SMTP Service Extension for Content Negotiation to Proposed Standard

2002-07-08 07:09:25
hmm,

Fax broadcasts are traditionally done to a set group of recipients (e.g. a
companies interstate offices) as traditional fax based devices require these
destinations to be pre-programmed in the device phonebook, these phone books
entries in many cases can be set up with the recipient capabilities also
defined for that individual recipient (e.g. resolution, compression , page
size  etc).

Let's not forget that broadcasting is loosing popularity as mail merge to
network fax / email provides more effective broadcasting due to the ability
to address a specific individual as a recipient.

I am currently surveying a number of sites (Australian) that are currently
using Internet Fax and preliminary data indicates that over 98% of traffic
is to a single recipient.

However, I do acknowledge that this may not be the case in other countries
or in the future as Internet fax capable devices become more affordable.

Gerry