Re: E-bone collapse

2002-07-12 08:39:51

Transitioning from the doomed Teleglobe and KPNQwest to the doomed
Worldcom has to be something of a masterstroke.

Yes - but they do say that they've installed a back-up transit service
through MFN. .......

Should Worldcom go into administration (almost a certainty, unless the
banks' confidence can be regained, which seems remote, at least in the
time available - 2-3 weeks), I'd expect (assuming he doesn't exit
quickly) that John Sidgemore would try and secure UUnet, and dispose of
everything else that can be sold.

It's not clear but I doubt that the residential customer base, or the
long distance business, call centres, MCI brand would be kept - but are
there buyers? It's low margin, no growth, but generates a lot of cash
(or is that a mirage?).

Others want the network assets only.

Worldcom International - not sure, but is that mainly UUnet outside the
U.S? I believe that Worldcom was integrating UUnet into 'mainstream'
operations in the UK, based now at their spiffy business park west of
London, in Reading