Re: why we had wireless problems at IETF

2002-07-17 21:59:47

actually japan has four non-overlapping channels 802.11 channel 1 6 11 14
whereas the US has only three because their 2.4ghz ism band goes from
2.4-2.5 and ours goes from 2.4-2.483. some commonwealth countries have
more stringent output regulations than the US or JP but that's not an
issue here.

Thanks for the correction. I don't know where I got the idea it was a lower
number of channels. Maybe some other country.

the accompaning issues is more than 60-100 clients per ap (and ~200=death)
really results in reduced performance as well, particulallry if most of
them are active so more ap's can result in better localized performance,
assuming you get a handle on the rf issue.

Maybe events like IETF need some hypothetical micro-cell below even the
normal small cell size, so you can seed enough stations in the room to
meet demand.

rogue ap and adhoc nodes result in their own set of confusion assuming you
client works right the biggest effect should be more noise, if your client
doesn't work properly (the apple one apparently) then other bad things may
happen.

I think we just did Apple a huge favour showing them some serious scaling
problems with their current implementation. Better its found out here than
in the real world!

yeah it can be tested but the rf environement looks way wierder with 1200
addional transmitters and 50 tons of rf absorbing meat in the space then
it does without them so unless you have a very cool testbed environment
you don't really know what your changes will do unless you try them.

Not to get too vendor centric the Cisco tools really helped us map hotspots
at work, but I'm not sure it would work as well here.

Maybe some kind of instrumented (netramet? flows??? :-) drivers could turn us
all into a version of the Jun IPv6 windscreen wiper trick on taxi's, but as a
health meter on the network. Summarized status could be sent in Multicast for a
collection agent.

-George

Joel Jaeggli        Academic User Services
joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu

--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but

George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064
Phone: +61 7 3858 3100  |  Australia
  Fax: +61 7 3858 3199  |  http://www.apnic.net