Re: ARPOP_REQUEST with spoofed IP address (joe, turn it off!)

2002-07-20 14:40:48

Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
        I looked through RFC826 and it seems that the operation performed by
        Lars was a Bad Thing.  RFC826 input processing explicitly suggests us
        to update ARP cache entry without checking arp operation type.

        therefore, it is unsafe to transmit ARP_REQUEST with spoofed IP
        source address - it will overwrite ARP entries of neighbors.

Agreed- this was known at 9:30am, and fixed very shortly thereafter. It is not related to this thread.

The incomplete ARP packets that were posted to this thread had no effect on the router (we asked); there is no information yet on which machine was causing them.

The connectivity problems experienced esp. Monday around 1pm were wireless related. The NOC had been rebooting some of the access points while reconfiguring them (about 10 times in 30 minutes). Other problems included users running ad-hoc access points, and general congestion of the access points.

When the problems occurred, we checked with the NOC, rather than continue this thread. We invite others to do the same in the future.

Joe