Re: DNS based URI without any set access semantics?

2002-07-25 12:30:07
On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:35:08PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
| ick.  please don't embed URIs in URNs.  that will just tempt people
| to use the embedded URIs and not treat them as URNs.

I'm not set at all on using URIsh syntax.  I just thought
it'd be the easiest approach.

| I can see wanting to have a URN that's based on DNS, but there shouldn't
| be any expectation that you can derive a URI from the URN just by
| modifying the syntax.  that defeats the whole purpose.

Great.  So, should this thingy be a URN NID?  How about using
reverse DNS, aka Java package names?

   urn:dns:com.clarkevans:MyPackage

Where the first three components are always small caps.

Best,

Clark

--
Clark C. Evans                   Axista, Inc.
http://www.axista.com            800.926.5525