Re: get technical, please? , Re: Trees have one root

2002-07-30 18:54:01
Peter,

I think the only aspect of your remarks that would be of
concern to me is trying to change the current DNS to operate
with "external clocking" rather than devising something new.
I don't think you were advocating that, since you made
reference to the "next DNS" which I took to be something
new and different that might indeed operate as you suggest.

I certainly agree that the CDN/redirect mechanisms do some
pretty complex things behind the DNS scenes. However, enough other
applications assume the the resolution is equivalent no matter
where the query is made (e.g. for email) that I would be concerned
about making a radical change to the current system.

We've already seen how complicated IDN is proving to be
(as another attempt to extend the functionality of present-day
DNS).

Vint