Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 10:23:08
And it is likely that standard tools, including return routability and white lists, will work less and less. I've now received spam that had a valid From address from within my own organization - if you have enough email addresses, that's easily accomplished.

Pretty soon, receiving email will require secretaries again, making the problem a $10/hour instead of $100/hour problem :-)

Carsten Bormann wrote:
Jim Fleming wrote:

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame57.html

Is the person in that picture you, Jim?
(In case this is unclear, this is a rhetorical question, no reply solicited.)

Back to the topic: Perry has hit the nail on the head.

As another person with a moderately well-published mail address, I can attest that the problem simply can no longer be ignored.

In Europe, spam (more precisely: automated unsolicited communications) will be outlawed EU-wide on 2003-07-24 (IANAL). That does not help with the large amount of Chinese, Korean, and US spam, though (and Europe so far has not been a significant source of spam, anyway). Maybe it *is* time to develop technical solutions that will assist the legal ones being deployed. It is certainly useful to think beyond mail, here -- automated unsolicited communications on your IP-phone will be even more of a problem than with mail.

Gruesse, Carsten

-
This message was passed through
ietf_censored(_at_)carmen(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)cselt(_dot_)it, which
is a sublist of ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Not all messages are passed.
Decisions on what to pass are made solely by Raffaele D'Albenzio.