Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 13:10:57
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 03:23:04PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
| > However, I agree with you, merely prosecuting the people hijacking
| > other people's resources will not be sufficient. It might be nice to
| > see a few spammers go to jail, though, for stealing other people's
| > computer resources.
|
| it would probably please me to see a few spammers have their hands
| (or other body parts) cut off on worldwide television, but I don't
| know that that would solve the problem.

The problem is pretty clearly economic in that sending spam is close
to free; it probably makes sense to look at economic solutions.  As
far back as 1995, Marshall Rose was charging (via First Virtual) to
read email from you if you were not on a white list.  Perhaps the IETF
should consider standardizing such a charging mechanisms?

Clearly there are issues that payment systems are not free,
interfacing with them can be difficult, etc, but those are probably
surmountable.

Adam

                                                       -Hume