Re[2]: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 13:52:56
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:14:08 -0700 (PDT) Karl Auerbach
<karl(_at_)cavebear(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'm slowly working on an idea (not yet clearly formed) to constipate the
TCP stacks of those sending spam.

there have been a number of attempts at tar pits with varying degrees of
success. the earliest ones just took advantage of the fact that ancestral
spam software was single threaded, and rrrrrrruuuuuunnnnnnniiiiiinnnngggg
vvvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrryyyyy slowly at smtp was enough to really put a damper
on things.

subsequently, there were some experiements with dns based tarpits -- set up
bogus email addresses in bogus domains, set the dns to be sluggish, and
then seed the bogus emails so that they polluted spammer "millions of
addresses" lists.

both of these methods are largely dead.

The core aspect of the idea is to make my TCP stack as near-dead as
possible, without actually being dead, to incoming spam.

i believe that i know where there's a slick patch to one of the *bsd stacks
that does something similar but not identical to what you're describing.

richard
--
Richard Welty
rwelty(_at_)averillpark(_dot_)net