Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 14:43:04
--On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 12:14:08 -0700 Karl Auerbach
<karl(_at_)cavebear(_dot_)com> wrote:

I also get several hundred spams a day - many megabytes.

I'm slowly working on an idea (not yet clearly formed) to constipate the
TCP stacks of those sending spam.

<snip>

Of course, a smart spammer could hack his/her TCP stack to detect my
slow-receiving stack, but that is a job beyond the ability of most
spammers.

clever idea. but I do think you underestimate the devious ingenuety of
spammers. of course this will trigger more or less clever responses. the
habit of one MTA (reportedly frequently in use by spammers) to drop
connections once it feels it is done (as opposed to when both TCP partners
agree on termination) is just a taster of what is yet to come in not so
kind protocol intent violation...

--
Måns Nilsson    http://vvv.besserwisser.org