Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-17 11:13:17

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
To: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2002 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: Why spam is a problem.

But is spam doubling every year?  I can't say that it is.  I also can't
say it isn't.  Yes, I saw reports of Brightmail's press release as well
as other media reports.  It is wise to discount such statements just as
much as reports about any single mailbox, including your own.  Our
individual spam loads are merely anecdotes, and outfits such as
Cloudmark
and Brightmail need spam to increase so they can stay in business.

I don't doubt that people's experience of spam varies widely, and
the figures you cited were quite interesting.    It's clear that
we should not accept any individual's reports as being representative.
And yet, even if only a small percentage of users are being "hammered"
this prevents email from being an effective and ubiquitous communications
medium - even among those individuals and businesses that have Internet
access.

Keith

I haven't had a lot of trouble. But I don't give out my e-mail address to
all these servers that ask for your e-mail address either. That might be
working in my favor. In regards to the svenska radio story, if spammers had
to pay for bulk advertising when bots are used that might cut spam.