Re: Why spam is a problem.

2002-08-13 15:28:49
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

Franck Martin <franck(_at_)sopac(_dot_)org> writes:
My own little piece part of a solution, is to enable global digital
signature.

For the moment GPG and S/MIME are not living to their promisses because
they are not offering tracability through a global certification
authority system (like DNS). So we come back to an old discussion GLOBAL
PKI with DNS help.

As I've said before: prime numbers are cheap. Anyone can get a
certificate. If we do this, we'll just get certified spam.
The theory is, if the traceability is tied to your domain, then there's a paper trail: if you're using a 2LD, then you had to register it; if you're using something lower down, then you had to get it from somebody, who can be held accountable if they don't pass the buck down to you.

This assumes, though, that all registries keep reliable records. It also has the nasty side effect of killing off anonymous speech.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centivinc(_dot_)com                 |