Re: Why People Should NOT Depend on "Root Servers"

2002-08-15 07:23:00
----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Eastlake 3rd" <dee3(_at_)torque(_dot_)pothole(_dot_)com>

I wish you would finally get around to deciding that the IETF is
hopeless so you would devote your efforts to other standards
organizations that you would find more competant.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/select/1098/int.html
POSTEL: It's perfectly appropriate to be upset. I thought of it in a slightly
different way--like a space that we were exploring
and, in the early days, we figured out this consistent path through the space:
IP, TCP, and so on. What's been happening over the
last few years is that the IETF is filling the rest of the space with every
alternative approach, not necessarily any better. Every
possible alternative is now being written down. And it's not useful.

.....Concerning your [Postel's] comment about filling up the space, there is
this story about an experiment with an infinite number
of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters generating the works of
Shakespeare. Well, we've done the experiment; we've
deployed an infinite number of typewriters and what they're [generating] is
protocol specs.

CERF: We're getting the Shakespearean equivalent of "To be or not to be, that
is the grzzornay."