Re: Why Spam is a problem

2002-08-15 14:39:21
At 12:30 PM 8/15/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
The root problem is social.

the root problem is indeed social, but I don't think we need laws on the books to provide technical work-arounds. If we want to, for example, have white-list people (people who are subscribers to the mailing list, or people who work for our company, or people to whom we have sent the appropriate goober in the past so they can now present it) present a credential and in our own instance of a mailer process treat peers that don't present the credential differently (such as r-e-a-l s-l-o-w-l-y), that doesn't require a law, it merely requires the appropriate technical specification and implementation.