Re: Why Spam is a problem

2002-08-16 10:23:22
Einar Stefferud wrote:

Opt out is not a good spam solution, since in most cases, the opt out
email address is  generally used to collect good "live" addresses for
use by other spammers.

A technique used here where I live for telephone marketing, is that
the telephone companies were required by law to provide a registry
service of phone numbers that have subscribed to 'do not call me'
lists. This works. The marketing companies are fined when they violate
the law. In fact the phone company itself was fined recently for
violating its own lists. I was surprised to find out that not everyone
wanted to be on that list.

I am not sure how this could work when the spammer is in
another country. I throw away all email from 3 countries anyway
or when the language/charset is not english.