Re: on UCE: Possible Interest (fwd)

2002-08-19 18:27:43
On Monday 19 August 2002 07:49 pm, Donald Eastlake 3rd wrote:
If spam really isn't a problem, then the efforts involved in ultimately
engineering a real solution, which in my opinion has to use economic
forces, and the efforts involved in engineering easy user interfaces,
will not be worth it.

How very true.  Until it becomes "economically" un-profitable to send spam,
it will continue to both be a problem - and a growing one...

If spam really is a problem and is exponentially leading to email
becoming unusable in most cases, then these engineering efforts are
worth it and if the protocol aspects are not done in a standard manner,
they will be done in proprietary ways.

True again....

<< cut>>
 They wouldn't be able to subscribe
to mailing lists (unless the mailing list operator went to a bunch of
work and allowed people to pay for subscription to cover the delivery
costs) but how bad is that?
<<cut>>

Actually I think you would see "lists" going to "web" based (html) which
would not require them to "send" anything through/to your servers/system.

This is a complex space. I

Very true...

--
Larry Smith