Re: ICANN, .org & " a total lack of technical due diligence"

2002-08-30 14:02:16
Carl ...great... no problem. Your web page cited below essentially invites the internet technical community and anyone else who wishes to take the time to try out your "roots" and your 'branches' and that on the merit of working running code tell the ICANN evaluators that they made a mistake and that they should as a result rethink their award intentions.

Yes?

OK Terrific. I wish you luck. So does Michael Froomkin, who I don't think believes that your approach will work. Were it to work great.

So OK lets go process and maybe THIS time it will work, since your technical standing and reputation are superb. However: color me sceptical that your strategy will make a difference.

Yes we certainly do have a problem with the ICANN process. Who leads ICANN? Who makes the decisions? I suggest that Vinton Cerf as Board Chair of ICANN is at least the TITULAR leader of ICANN. I suggest it should not be regarded as ad hominem or personal to ask ICANN's Board Chair to speak out and take a strong position on what you have pointed out on your own web page looks to be a miscarriage of justice.

I am discouraged because the last time the leadership issue arose on this list was on august 1 and 2 with Karl's court victory. What Vint tried to maintain on this list was true was shown by Karl and Michael Froomkin to be erroneous. Vint seems to be willing to follow the ICANN party line. In my opinion that party line has a poor record for factual accuracy let alone good policy.

It would be nice to see this change. I and a lot of other folk have given up any hope however.

I support your effort and wish you luck.

 > Carl Malamud has quite a lot to say about integrity at
 http://not.invisible.net/signals/bin/000270.shtml

 I'd say that engineering without integrity is a bit flawed wouldn't you?

The thing I hate the most about the entire ICANN process is the fact that
problems with their process gets spun into personal attacks.  Vint's
got plenty of integrity, as do all the staff I've dealt with at ICANN.
We've got a problem with their process, but let's not turn that into
ad hominum attack.  Reasonable people can differ and discuss without
calling each other names or impuning their motives.

Regards,

Carl

The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA (609)