Re: Multihoming Issues

2002-08-30 14:51:23
Fred,

On 8/30/02 10:16 AM, "Fred Baker" <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
It seems like routing tables and DNS are separate discussions - one is
about routes and prefixes, and one is about names.

Not sure of the basis for the original comment, but see the (dearly
departed, may they rest in peace) A6 RRs.

Whereas today the RIRs
hand out relatively short prefixes with a view to forcing the use of NATs
in edge networks,

Interesting perception.  Can you provide some reference as to why you
believe this?

In such a scenario, in your favorite location in the network, there should be:

- one prefix for each ISP in the world
- one prefix for each POP or campus in your network
- one prefix for each LAN in your POP or Campus
- additional prefixes that you decide to carry for your own reasons (eg,
policy)

My, that's a lot of prefixes.  I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Rgds,
-drc