RE: Multihoming Issues

2002-08-31 09:17:08
Caitlin Bestler wrote:
The potential mismatch between IPv6 and classic DNS
is that an IPv6 unicast address is structured in two
parts: the network identifier (the high 64 bits) and
an Interface ID (the low 64 bits).

This is equally true for IPv4: The network part, whose bits are "1"s in
the subnet mask, and the host part, whose bits are "0"s in the subnet
mask.

Half of the Interface IDs are globally unique, the
other half are assigned locally within the network.

I wonder where you got that from. The entire IID is assigned with EUI-64
and we just had a long thread on the ipv6 list about not using it for
routing purposes.

For the half that are globally unique, a query system
could be defined to look up that address and return
the network(s) where it was found.

This likely creates a circular reference: routing is required for DNS to
work; therefore routing should not depend on DNS.

Michel.