Re: Multihoming Issues

2002-08-30 11:18:52
On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:16:21 PDT, Sister Sibling
<ccs522g9(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>  said:

     The IETF is recommending that the DNS mechanisms to support IPv6 stay
essentially the same as those already in use with IPv4 today. To our opinion,
in the realm of multi-homed networks, the techniques used in IPv4 can't all be
applied since they have scaling problems. Specifically, if the same prefix is
advertised by multiple ISPs, the routing tables will grow as a function of the
number of multihomed sites.

Please advise and thanks in advance for your attention.

DNS has nothing to do with routing.  Yes, IPv4 and IPv6 both have issues with
large numbers of multihomed sites, but that's not a DNS issue.

The problem with routing is (to summarize *greatly*) basically that there are
no really good algorithms for finding a new minimum spanning tree in a graph
when an arbitrary change in the graph is made.  The IETF recommendation is to
use the same schemes because we don't have a better method than BGP.  If you
have a better algorithm that scales well to the number of AS and inter-AS
connections that the Internet has, let us know...

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer