RFC-2002-9-7...2003:...is closer than we think...

2002-09-09 08:44:27
2003: will be here soon. The 2002: 128-bit DNS testing is going well.
It looks like 2003: could be a "can of worms"....(see below).

If people prefer to switch to the YMDD: format in 2003:, then, that
would be 3101: on January 1, 2003....resulting in...

3101:[IPv4 Global]:XXXX!YYYY:[IPv4 Local]:[Port]

XXXX and YYYY share the same format, with the two left-most bits
that select the Fragmentation Transition...
0!0 - Legacy
0!1 - Don't Fragment Local
1!0 - Don't Fragment Global
1!1 - Don't Fragment Either

YYYY would then be...[F!QQQQ!AAAA!BBBBBBB]

Where...
F is the Fragmentation selector (0 - Legacy, 1 - Don't Fragment)
QQQQ are the 4 QoS bits
AAAA!BBBBBBB are the 11 IPv8 Prefix Bits used in IPv4++ Extended Addressing....
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

XXXX can be 0000000000000000 for those only testing on legacy transports.
XXXX can be [F!QQQQ!AAAA!BBBBBBB] to unify the global and local addressing

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...IPv16 is even closer...
http://ipv8.dyndns.tv
http://ipv8.yi.org
http://ipv8.dyns.cx
http://ipv8.no-ip.com
http://ipv8.no-ip.org
http://ipv8.no-ip.biz
http://ipv8.no-ip.info
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/lists/6bone/200112/msg00036.html
a.. To: "Paul Timmins" <paul(_at_)timmins(_dot_)net>, "Jan Oravec"
<wsx(_at_)wsx6(_dot_)net>
a.. Subject: RE: Announcing 2003::/16 during tests of "shipworm"
a.. From: "Matthew Lehman" <mlehman(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>
a.. Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 23:59:28 -0800

Christian will have to give an official response on the current status from
IANA, but my understanding is that there are no
objections and we are waiting on a final response.  I also should say that we
are working under a few (possibly incorrect
assumptions):

1) The 6Bone is a research network developed for the main use of learning about
and furthering the deployment of IPv6.  I haven't
seen anything about production networks in it's charter, but I may have missed
something.  We wouldn't have announced a non-assigned
route in a production network.
2) We have put forth IETF drafts for comment of this protocol and applied for
the address range from IANA.  While I agree that
anyone can put forward a draft (or an RFC for that matter), it does undergo
scrutiny from the Internet community and it was never
our intention to hijack address space without going through the appropriate
processes.
3) There is a large body of people that are interested in a NAT traversal
mechanism for IPv6.

Sorry if we jumped the gun, we're just trying to do due diligence and test the
protocol in a larger scale scenario in the right
network.  I thought the 6Bone was the right place to do that.

-Matthew