Re: Datagram? Packet? (was : APEX)

2002-09-28 16:22:43
Lets just get some FACTS straight out

On 9/28/02 3:29 PM, "Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)VT(_dot_)EDU"
<Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)VT(_dot_)EDU>
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 06:20:59 +0859, Masataka Ohta said:

RSVP establishes the per-flow state before the packets can flow.

I missed Ohta Son's original post, thanks to Valdis for catching this
incorrect statement.

IP packets can flow anytime.

If/when deployed, the existence of an RSVP reservation is expected to
improve the delivery quality of those IP packets, and the lack or breakdown
of that reservation simply leaves the packets with their regular best effort
delivery.

It is just a minor engineering decision to allow optional circuit
switched service over a best-effort-capable network.

1) I wasn't aware that RSVP caused packets to be routed according to
a flow ID contained in the packet rather than the IP address in the packet.

2) If an intermediate router handling an RSVP connection decides to
die an interesting death, packets can still be sent (assuming things like
multihoming and BGP convergence) and successfully arrive before a new
RSVP setup completes.

It doesn't sound like a circuit-switching scheme, it sounds like a resource
reservation scheme to guarantee sufficient bandwidth.
--
               Valdis Kletnieks
               Computer Systems Senior Engineer