RE: TCP/IP Terms

2002-10-06 21:44:16
Vint,

vinton g. cerf wrote:
Michel,
your drawing of TCP/IP is NOT the model I used in
the design of TCP/IP.

[Thanks for the historical precisions]

My understanding is that the TCP/IP model is de-facto, opposed to de
jure for the OSI model.

Below are the top ten matches searching for "tcp/ip model" on google;
basically none is the same; some have four layers, some have five, the
names are not consistent.

Some years ago I tried to teach the TCP/IP model and I had to spend
hours explaining why "my" vision of the TCP/IP model was not the same as
they have seen somewhere else (you know, if they've seen it on the
Internet, same as they've seen it on CNN, it must be true).

I'm having trouble explaining to students why a reference model has
variable definitions. If this:
+---+-------------+
! 5 ! Application !
+---+-------------+
! 4 ! Transport   !
+---+-------------+
! 3 ! Internet    !
+---+-------------+
! 2 ! Link        !
+---+-------------+
! 1 ! Physical    !
+---+-------------+
Is what you define as being the TCP/IP model (I don't think anybody
would challenge *you* on this), would you please write an RFC about it
so we can avoid what is below?

http://www.pku.edu.cn/academic/research/computer-center/tc/html/TC0102.h
tml
http://www.indianest.com/computing/networking/n003.htm
http://www2.themanualpage.org/networks/networks_tcpip.php3
http://www.8052.com/tcpip/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/win
dows2000/en/server/help/sag_TCPIP_ovr_model.htm
http://dast.nlanr.net/Training/DCWJuly99/kai_tcpip/sld005.htm
http://www.unm.edu/~network/presentations/course/chap2/sld018.htm
http://academic.regis.edu/jguhlke/osi.ppt
http://www.interex.org/pubcontent/enterprise/jul99/f1eltoft.html