RE: TCP/IP Terms

2002-10-07 13:59:25
Eric Tomson wrote:
I think that such terms as "Internet", "Intranet" and
"Extranet" DO owe their existence to the wide
implementation and use of TCP/IP.
So - IMHO - you don't have to worry about TCP/IP to
"survive" and "compete" (particularly against SPX/IPX
and NetBIOS/NetBEUI). ;)
TCP/IP DOES RUN on any Intranet, Extranet and Internet,
because - by definition - they DO RUN TCP/IP.
Regarding OSI, just consider it as a theoretical
reference model particularly well-fitted for training
purposes (even if it's NOT limited to that), if this
can ease your mind. :)
P.S.: on the other hand, I don't think TCP/IP needs to be
"protected". It only needs a smooth migration to IPv6.

I Agree with Eric (BTW Eric I stole your PDU names for the OSI model,
they're better than mine). This has nothing to do with the protocol
suite, but with model semantics.

Michel.