Re: Uniqueness of WHOIS handles

2002-10-12 14:23:03
I suspect that a better answer was desired.

I suggest that the local WHOIS handles be distinguished by the global WHOIS
database name.  I am assuming that no two WHOIS database providers use the same
global handle for their WHOIS servers.

Then your database searches can find the instances of local name and report
back with all the WHOIS sources available to help resolve the query.  Most of
the time, the results will be singular, but when not singular, the query
response offers a way to resolve the ambiguity.

Then I think the proposal has a chance of working.

Cheers...\Stef

Rick Wesson <wessorh(_at_)ar(_dot_)com> posted:

Florian,

there is no guarantee the uniqueness of WHOIS handles. there is no name
space for whois, nor an entity to register such.

pick any prefix you wish.

-rick