Re: Note Well Statement (fwd)

2002-11-11 08:10:48
On 8 Nov 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
Pekka Savola <pekkas(_at_)netcore(_dot_)fi> writes:
Seriously, couldn't we cut this crap?

At least when I go to the meetings, I can conveniently toss the Note Well
statement away, I really don't want to read it N times for every IETF m-l
I subscribe to.

The fact that you're finding yourself annoyed by how often you see it
means that it would be difficult for anyone to claim they had not seen
it. Sadly, I'm not sure how to avoid annoying people in the process...

Perhaps I should try to clarify as I've received a number of private
emails too.

The problem with Note Well seems to be that there will *always* be people
who can say they've not received it, due to many reasons:

 - many IETF mailing-lists do not require subscription, _anyone_ can post
there.  Sending the statement on the subscribers is unlikely to help here.
For new, active members, modifying the mailing-list "are you sure you want
to join the mailing-list" confirmation message might help a bit

 - there are many other targets (like IESG/IAB) which are not "lists" and
anyone can indeed send the members working under IETF auspices messages
and never have seen the Note Well statement

 - they haven't been to any IETF physical meeting where they might have
received it on paper

So, it looks like the message sent on lists is trying to reach those
participants who have never been to IETF physical meeting and are
subscribed to a mailing list.

I bet this is a relatively small bunch of people;  well below the magic
80/20 rule..

What I'd find more useful is that people who first post in the lists or
join them would receive the note well automatically, for example through:
 - notice in the joining confirmation message
 - keeping some kind of white-list for people, if person sending a message
is not there, send him a note well and add to the list
 - harvest email addresses from IETF lists and if not on a white-list,
send them note wells and add them there
 - etc.