Re: Note Well Statement (fwd)

2002-11-11 08:49:57
At 9:40 +0200 11/9/02, Pekka Savola wrote:
So, it looks like the message sent on lists is trying to reach those
participants who have never been to IETF physical meeting and are
subscribed to a mailing list.

But recall that the IETF's primary form of communication is the mailing list, not the face-to-face meetings. That's why the Note Well is on the lists.

What I'd find more useful is that people who first post in the lists or
join them would receive the note well automatically, for example through:
 - notice in the joining confirmation message
 - keeping some kind of white-list for people, if person sending a message
is not there, send him a note well and add to the list
 - harvest email addresses from IETF lists and if not on a white-list,
send them note wells and add them there
 - etc.

Not bad ideas, but resource intensive (especially the last). Remember that the secratariate body is small and other activity is performed predominantly by volunteers.

The "Note Well" is a legal thing, to settle a legal problem. The logic behind legal activities is not the same as the logic driving technical activities. I am sure that there is some notion in the legal realm of the need to take reasonable steps to forewarn someone - as opposed to the engineering notion of assuring that someone is forewarned. But I do not spend much time studying legal topics.

Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer