Re: Comments and alternatives to draftt-huston-ietf-pact-00 (long)

2002-11-22 19:35:43
John, I like what you say, but I would like to see it less
formal.  I have encouraged ADs to have groups of personal
trusted professional assistants (not just area secretariats,
although there could be overlap), who could take care of all
the tasks you suggest for offloading.
Yep.  Probably better, for all sorts of reasons (including not
concentrating resources and power/authority in the secretariat)
if it worked.  But, if anyone has actually done it and made it
work to good effect, I'm not aware of it.

i have been using the operations directorate as reviewers for the
documents on the upcoming agenda.  it has been very helpful.

I can speculate on many reasons for that, of which lack of stable
resources, management time, and uncertainty as to whether the
other IESG members would accept such arrangements are high on the
list.

none of these has been the slightest problem to me.  the biggest
problem is getting an agenda sufficiently in advance.  due to
circumstances beyond my control, i have email only access, and do
not know what is on next week's agenda as it has not been
distributed as scheduled.  this is not uncommon.  and, of course,
it means i can not send it to ops-dir reviewers.

Having those folks be [more] formal and secretariat-managed would
help with the process of managing them

the secretariat is not fulfilling it's current tasks.  don't add
more.

randy