Re: namedroppers mismanagement, continued

2002-11-27 16:27:01
I second this. If some WG wants to maintain such a bounced list, that's
fine, but there isn't sufficient reason for it to be a requirement.

It's too bad that the exponentially increasing volume of spam has such
corrosive effect but that is the reality. Every IETF WG list I have
anything to do with has spam filtration and/or moderation of various
sorts. And I know exactly what the response from those who claim to
represent "openness" will be to this message. But the fact is that, for
the vast majority of IETF WG mailing lists, eliminating spam filtration
or moderation would greatly decrease participation and decrease input. I
don't give a damn about personal opinions that everyone should be able
to do their own high quality spam filtration and or be willing to "just
hit D".  I'm talking about reality and they don't. The minor additional
effort by those not subscribed to subscribe or get themselves added to
the can-post-but-not-subscribed-list or send the contribution to the WG
chair for posting is certainly a cost and may eliminate some input but
I'm satisfied from the consensus in WGs where this has been discussed
that these effects are dwarfed by the loss of input and participation
that would occur if filtration and moderation were eliminated.

Donald

PS: The namedroppers list is a special case because of persistent
attempts over a long period to use it for purposes outside of the
charter of the WG. Becasue of this, it has been found necessary by the
WG chairs for human judgement to be used more than on any other WG
mailing list. The ADs and IESG and IETF chair, who represent and are
selected by the IETF community, are and have for a long time been fully
aware of this. The periodic waves of complaint messages on the subject
posted to the IETF list are primarily a waste of everyone's time since
the policies are supported by the consensus in the working groups
involved.