RE: namedroppers mismanagement, continued

2002-11-29 06:39:02
Dan, sounds like a plan.  I say all messages from
Bernstein be handled via his option #2

Can we please BOUNCE all of Dr. Bernsteins email with
the correct procedure, in the bounce message, on how
to subscribe and be a participating member of the list
instead of bitching and wasting time.

If you have specific complaints about the List Manager
then forward them, in private, to the NomCom.

This list is NOT the place for this bitch fest.

Now lets get back to something more important like
arguing over DNS SEC. ;)

Jeesh, what a waste...

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-namedroppers(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-namedroppers(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of D. J.
Bernstein
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 4:25 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; namedroppers(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: namedroppers mismanagement, continued

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam,
it is easy to
  miss and therefore delete mis-posts.  your subscription address is
  54830374684695-namedroppers(_at_)sublist(_dot_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)to, please
post from it or
  fix subscription your subscription address! ]

Olafur Gudmundsson writes:
Ask Randy to put your posting address on the approved posters list.

Messages are not being bounced with explanations of how to
set them up as known addresses. Messages are being SILENTLY
DISCARDED. (Misdirecting them to some obscure web page would
have essentially the same effect.)

You say the problem is that _I_ am not doing something. But a
whole bunch of namedroppers messages from _other_ people have
also been listed as coming from non-subscribers. How many
more messages have been lost--- or deliberately thrown away
by Bush? THE PROCEDURE IS FLAWED!

As for my own sender address djb(_at_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)to, Bush has already
taken manual action---but what he did was _not_ adding the
address to a list of known
addresses. Instead, he started putting my subscription
address on top of all my messages to the list---shortly after
I had informed him that I kept _that_ address private to
limit the number of people who can forge unsubscription requests.

I don't care whether Bush's decisions can be adequately
explained by stupidity. The decisions shouldn't be made by
hand in the first place. The only acceptable ways to process
a message to a standardization mailing list are

   (1) to immediately pass it through unchanged to the subscribers or
   (2) to immediately bounce it.

The decision between #1 and #2 must be made by objective
standards. The bounces must clearly and thoroughly explain
the standards. The standards must allow the sender to
straightforwardly arrange for #1.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of
Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science, University of
Illinois at Chicago