Re: namedroppers mismanagement, continued

2002-11-26 15:09:57
David Frascone writes:
Why not simply subscribe and resend?

How does that help namedroppers recover all the lost messages from
_other_ people? Bush has _sent_ 115 legitimate namedroppers messages
from non-subscribers in the last three months; how many has he _lost_?

I'm sure I mistakenly reject many of them.

Do you _silently discard_ them? If the sender isn't monitoring the list,
how will he ever know that his message didn't go through? If he _is_
monitoring the list, how long is he supposed to wait before complaining?

Bush imposed his mailing-list control methods without IESG approval, in
violation of RFC 2418, section 3.2. He has been caught engaging in
content-based censorship several times:

   http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/namedroppers.html

What's stopping him from selectively delaying or discarding messages
that he doesn't like? How can we tell whether these were actually
``mistakes''?

Manual reviews are completely inappropriate for a standardization forum.
They allow uncontrolled abuse, even when they aren't exacerbated by a
lack of notification to the sender.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago