Re: namedroppers mismanagement, continued

2002-11-26 15:00:33
At 11:10 AM 2002-11-26, Fred Baker wrote:
At 07:39 AM 11/26/2002 -0800, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
The list admin should add the unsubscribed address to the
list of "known email addresses".  See item 5 in:
 http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/mail-submit-policy.txt

that's one of the list admin's options. But it turns out that many list admins
consider adding a name to a list unbidden is impolite, and choose to not do
this either, because they consider it error-prone and potentially insecure.

I think it could be easily argued that manual approval process is
far more error-prone than automated approval process and comes
with the most of the same security and "use" issues you discuss.

Anyways, if the admin really considers it impolite (I don't), then
maybe that admin should send the user an opt-in (or opt-out) notice
before (or after) adding the user to the pre-approved list of
posters.  (Note: for the subscribers list, the policy should be opt-in).
This is easily automated (most list management software supports
such).

Is it so hard to do?

  echo 'djb(_at_)cr(_dot_)yp(_dot_)to' >> namedroppers.allowed-posters

is not hard at all.

Kurt