Re: new.net (was: Root Server DDoS Attack: What The Media Did Not Tell You)

2002-11-29 12:49:44

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Keith Moore wrote:

Well, it also matters that the set be constrained to some degree.
A large flat root would not be very managable, and caches wouldn't
be very effective with large numbers of TLDs.

That's old fiction.  If it works for .com it will work for ".".

well, it's not clear that it works well for .com.  try measuring
delay and reliability of queries for a large number of samples
sometime, and also cache effectiveness.

let's put it another way.  under the current organization if .com breaks
the other TLDs will still work.   if we break the root, everything fails.

I just can't buy the argument.  The root won't break.  .com works fine -
so would the root.  The only issue would be vulnerability - if the roots
were under attack and the "." file was as large as the .com zone - then i
would imgine there would be a significant problem.  These same
vulnerability issues exist for the .com zone everyday.  It's a very
vulnerable namespace to attack.

Thats about the only significant problem i see to a "." file being as
large as .com.

regards
joe baptista