Re: namedroppers, continued

2002-12-08 23:07:48
How about passing a law that makes eveyone install a BIOS patch to block out
spam. ;-)

    On the serious side Vernon has a point. Even with snail mail you can go
to the post office and the USPS will provide you with a form to fill out and
they will not put advertisements into your mail. If ISPs would only do the
same. As of yet, if all else fails, deleting a email box is easier and more
effective than taking a ballbat to a snail mail box.

    --Bill
----- Original Message -----
From: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: namedroppers, continued

From: Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu

The bootstrap problem will exist no matter what scheme we decide on.

There are many spam solutions that do not have the bootstrapping
problem.  Examples include effective laws and honest intent and action
by ISPs.  Before saying those are hopeless, please note that the many
bootstrap-limited proposals don't have proven prospects.

The point I was addressing was that there's been two major classes of
scheme proposed ...

However, the partitions created by each scheme are quite complementary,

Your observation of how those two solutions fit together is
interesting...or would be if they did not suffer from other problems.

Moore's law causes a bunch of problems for the computing idea. ...

It may not be as big of a problem as we think.  Rough back-of-envelope
calculations now:  Let's say we assume a function X designed to take 10
seconds of CPU on my laptop (which has a 1.6Gz P-4 in it) to limit it to
8K
messages/day.

http://www.intel.com/home/desktop/pentium4/ suggests state of the
commodity
art is about twice that, which lets a spammer send 16K msgs/day.
Moore's law is still a treadmill that you don't want to fight.

              Now, this same function will take around 2 minutes on a
133mz
processor and be restricted to 800 mails/day. ...

I would put the lower limit at around 48 MHz on 80486s, or ~8 times
slower than a 133 MHz Pentium.  Such machines go back less than 10 years.
Would you expect your conservative correspondents to spend 15 minutes
to send you a message, or would you just white-list them?
Once you start white-listing, it's hard to have much enthusiasm for
more fancier solutions.

Now how many people are still using a 133 system to do that much
outbound mail
themselves (and *NOT* just relaying all outbound mail to a smarthost)?

I think recent FreeBSD and sendmail would still work fine at 48 MHz,
although you probably want to stuff the thing to the gills with 64 MByte
of RAM, or more if it can take it.  There are many computing tasks that
don't need 3 GHZ and 3 GByte.

Aren't busy smarthosts significantly busier than 80K msgs/day?
From my old experience, that was true even when they were running
at less than 50 MHz and with perhaps 100 MByte.

Besides, no matter what inmates of glass houses and big ISPs would
have you think, SMTP is a peer-to-peer protocol.  A major damage spam
is doing is helping government commissars and ISP salescritters convince
people that the ancient Compuserve/AOL/Prodigy/whatever dumb-terminal-
connected-to-central-servers is the only way to do public networking
and computing.

And
even *MORE* to the point, what are the chances that a system that old
will be
upgraded software-wise to support a scheme, even if it takes zero
additional
CPU? ...

Would you whitelist it for the next 10 years?  If there are very
few, white-listing works.  If not, you've got that bootstrapping problem,
and you've invited the white-listing camel into your tent.