RE: Last Call: Traffic Engineering Extensions to OSPF Version 2 to Proposed Standard

2002-12-17 14:17:45
Rohit,

My comments were made solely in reference to the
draft-katz-yeung draft; not in comparison to any specific draft,
as you might believe.

As for the comment from John Moy (circa July 2001) about the
availability of an inter-area OSPF draft, I do recall responding
that the inter-area draft was assuming additive properties to
TE metrics to advertise summary info. It is a mistake to assume
that all TE metrics can be additive.  Below is a pointer to
the response I sent.
http://discuss.microsoft.com/SCRIPTS/WA-MSD.EXE?A2=ind0108&L=ospf&T=0&F=&S=&;
P=5937

This goes right back to the comment I made below about
using the draft-katz-yeung draft as the basis for inter-area TE.

regards,
suresh

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohit Dube [mailto:rohit(_at_)xebeo(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 11:46 AM
To: srisuresh(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
zinin(_at_)psg(_dot_)com;
fenner(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com; acee(_at_)redback(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: Last Call: Traffic Engineering Extensions to OSPF Version 2
to Proposed Standard

Suresh,

You have brought up this issue on the ospf mailing list a couple
of times and as such the topic has been addressed on the list.

Here is pointer to an email from John Moy (circa July 2001)
http://discuss.microsoft.com/SCRIPTS/WA-MSD.EXE?A2=ind0107&L=OSPF&D=0&I=-3&P
=15162
and another more recent one from me in response to your email on your
alternate-te proposal
http://discuss.microsoft.com/SCRIPTS/WA-MSD.EXE?A2=ind0212&L=OSPF&D=0&I=-3&P
=6031

Best,
--rohit.
(OSPF WG co-chair)

::The draft is a solution to providing TE within an OSPF area.
::The draft has serious scalability limitations in
::extending this to inter-area and mixed networks (with TE and
::non-TE nodes). Please see my comments below. I would not
::recommend using this draft as the basis for building further
::TE-extensions to inter-area and mixed networks.
::
::The draft apparently evolved over time with no requirements
::document to guide it. The vendors and implementors behind the
::draft may have been guided by different set of requirements
::and motivations, such as having some working code. Unfortunately,
::this ad-hoc approach has a cost. Any new requirements are having
::to be met in a reactive mode and having to be provided as fixes
::on top of this "working" code. This is not right and doesnt bode
::well for the future of the protocol.
[snip]