Re: Last Call: Traffic Engineering Extensions to OSPF Version 2 to Proposed Standard

2002-12-19 11:51:01
Suresh,

Please look at draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt, as
at least some of the approaches described in that draft
do *not* assume additive properties of TE metrics (and do not
advertise summary info).

Yakov.

Yakov - You are right. The draft does talk about different
mechanisms the MPLS signaling protocols could use to setup
LSPs in an AS spanning multiple areas. However, the draft is
not about inter-area OSPF TE.

The draft is about multi-area TE, as it describes how to solve
the problem of supporting TE in a multi-area environment.

OK.

Clearly, there is interplay between signalling protocols and
the extent of TE link state data base (TE-LSDB) a node has.
I believe, scenario-3 is where the inter-area OSPF-TE is in
place and all nodes in an area have the same information as
their ABRs do. This scenario presents the signalling protocols
with fast convergence in settign up an LSP, right.

Just to point out that quite a few scenarios described in
draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt are supported with the TE
extensions that are subject to this Last Call. To repeat what
Kireeti said already "There is work going on to address multi-area
TE *that builds on this draft*."

Yakov - My comment on the katz-yeung draft concerning multi-area
is that it supports TE in a single OSPF area; and hence to rename
the draft as "TE extensions to an OSPFv2 area".

Let's be precise. The katz-yeung draft defines certain TE-related
information, and specifies how to distribute this information within
a single area. That is it.

My recommendation against using this draft as the basis for
building further TE-extensions to inter-area and mixed networks
was in the context of OSPF Autonomous System (AS). I also
mentioned the draft has scalability limitations in extending this
to inter-area and mixed networks -  also in the context of OSPF AS.

Without going into the details of the "Multi-area MPLS Traffic
Enginering" draft - The work cited in this draft as going on to
address multi-area TE is in the MPLS signalling context, not in
the OSPF.

As I said in my previous e-mail quite a few scenarios described in
draft-kompella-mpls-multiarea-te-03.txt are supported with the TE
extensions that are subject to this Last Call. That is precisely
while quite a few scenarios in the "Multi-area MPLS Traffic Engineering"
draft do not require any additions to what is already defined
in the katz-yeung draft.

Yakov.