Re: SWAMP SPACE 192/8 thru 205/8

2003-01-08 14:52:05
%
% I understand swamp space is 192/8 thru 205/8.  Am I correct.  Also can
% anyone provide me with a history of how these allocation got that name
% ??? swamp space ???
%
% Thanks in advance.
%
% Cheers
% Joe Baptista
%
% --
% Planet Communications & Computing Facility
% a division of The dot.GOD Registry, Limited

        the definition is one of local interpretation, per ISP.
        So if you define "swamp space" as 192/8 thru 205/8, then
        you are accurate, as far as you are concerned. Others will
        have divergent views and definitions.

        the term came into use roughly the same time as the term
        "tier-x" emerged as a classification for ISPs.

        Check the CIDR wg archives and the NANOG mailing archives
        roughly 1996-1998 for more detail.

--bill