Re: Cluster Addressing and CIDR

2003-01-16 11:28:36
At 01:21 AM 1/14/2003 +0100, Rokitansky, Carl-Herbert wrote:
PS: As far as I can recall (having currently no access to any old documents) the IETF (or plans for it ?) was established in 1984 in a meeting in Malvern, UK at RSRE, in Sept (?) 1984 (could anyone please confirm), in which several of us participated ! Do you have any plans already to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the establishment of the IETF ! Please keep me informed. Thanks ! Roki.

Hi Roki -

Sorry - wrong date. The IETF was established as the result of an IAB meeting held just immediately before the 1st IETF meeting - which incidentally was actually the last GADS (Gateway Architecture and Data Structures) meeting. Mike Corrigan (my boss and the Technical Manager for the Defense Data Network) came in late in the day on the first day of the meeting and informed us the IAB had decided to split GADS into the INENG and the INARC (Internet Engineering and Internet Architecture) and that the GADS chair (Dave Mills) was now the chair of INARC. Mike Corrigan took over as the first chair of the INENG which pretty immediately became the IETF (it was easier on the tongue).

We spent about 1/2 of the 2nd day on engineering issues and I would really call that specific day the first IETF meeting. According to the IETF website, that was January 17th, 1986 - so we've got a few years yet until the 20th anniversary.

Later, Mike