RE: Last Call: CR-LDP Extensions for ASON to Informational

2003-01-23 07:44:46
Hi,

I wanted to respond to some of the comments raised by Kireeti.

With respect to the issue re call and connection separation, call and
connection separation is an architectural requirement that is fully documented
within Rec. G.8080.  Rec. G.8080 was liaised to the IETF quite some time ago
(it was Approved end  '01; Consented Oct. '01), and at every meeting of the
IETF for the past few meetings, there have been status updates provided on
associated ITU-T work efforts.    As you may recall, Kam sent out an email
earlier in reply to some other comments on where these documents can be
obtained.  Rec. G.7713, which also reflects call and connection separation, was
also sent to the IETF almost a year ago upon it's Approval end of  '01

To find the information that has been transmitted from ITU-T to IETF on this
subject (from 26 October 2001), see:

ftp://sg15opticalt:otxchange(_at_)ftp(_dot_)itu(_dot_)int/tsg15opticaltransport/COMMUNICATIONS/index.html

<ftp://sg15opticalt:otxchange(_at_)ftp(_dot_)itu(_dot_)int/tsg15opticaltransport/COMMUNICATIONS/index.html>

In terms of the formatting of the CALL_ID, Kireeti raised a question as to why
IP addresses only were not sufficient.   The answer to this illustrates one
difference between the IETF and ITU-T scope.   The focus of the IETF is upon
IP-based client services while ITU-T has a multi-service focus, including not
only IP but also other types of services (such as ATM). As such, it cannot be
assumed that all NEs have IP addresses associated with them. In addition, it
cannot be assumed that, even if the NE has an IP address, that those IP
addresses are globally unique. As such, it was necessary to come up with a
identifier format that does not assume the global uniqueness of an address.
The selected approach was to re-use existing identifier formats (e.g., from the
TTI format such as G.709) that provides "free" globally unique identifiers.

As mentioned in the documentation for G.7713.x, the CALL_ID IS and NS is used
only when "global" uniqueness is needed. In the event that networks are just
been deployed or it's a single carrier's network where their addressing space
is unique, then they can use the "operator specific" CALL_ID format. In this
format the CALL_ID is essentially the IP address (if the type is 4-byte or
16-byte variety).

In terms of the "didn't hear a clear consensus on the need for this", the text
was published in Report COM15-24 (Part IIA of the report of WP 3/15). According
to ITU-T practice, inclusion in part IIA indicates that the text is "agreed",
although not at the point of "consent" ready to issue for a Last Call. The
agreement to place text in part IIA of a report occurs at the final plenary of
the Study Group meeting. This meeting was attended by approximately 300
participants. The reason that the text was not put for consent at the May 2002
meeting of Study Group 15 was to provide time for comments on the text in
response to liaisons sent to IETF ccamp and the ATM forum, and to allow IANA
assigned codepoints to be included in the document. A clear U.K. national
position paper was contributed to the meeting currently underway (delayed
contribution 483), supporting that all three of the ASON signaling
Recommendations should be put for consent at this meeting.

Hope this helps...

Zhi