movies vs chat logs

2003-02-13 19:45:34
due to lightening struck tower, i was unable to be at the atlanta
meeting.  i really needed to know what happened in a number of
sessions in which i have critical interest.

the jabber logs were useless, at best "s/he is talking about X now"
with no idea of what was said, how it was justified, what the
reactions were, ...  note that i am a jabber user, run a jabber
server, ...  so it is not anti-jabber prejudice.  it just seemed
not to work in this particular context for this particular use.
perhaps it kept folk with insufficient email amused during boring
times :-).

by happenstance, most of the sessions i cared about most were
recorded by the mbone team.  i downloaded the mpgs, and have
found them *very* useful.  it is like being there, but without
the opportunity to put my foot in my mouth.  i am not sure how
useful the stuff was in real-time broadcast.  but the recordings
sure are a real help.

randy